The thought of becoming a full-time stay-at-home mom is daunting for most women. They are confused when they quit their normal jobs and officially become stay-at-home moms. They need to figure out how to manage the children and at the same time carry out a myriad of household chores that include cooking, teaching, disciplining and shopping among others. Here are a few pointers that can ease the life of a stay-at-home mom.
- Plan the night before. It is no use waking up and trying to figure out how to fill the day. Failure to plan means that you might end up running around fire-fighting the whole day. Planning the next day when the children are sleeping is a must.
- Get time outdoors. Staying at home fulltime will make you and the children go mad. The house will also be a mess. Ensure you get fresh air, do some shopping and see new faces.
- Ensure you know all free activities in your area. Scout for playgrounds in the vicinity and check out the libraries. There are many opportunities when you will not have to anything but take videos of your children.
- Network with other stay-at-home moms. Most of them are in the same situation as you are. Talking to SAHMs means you can fix play-dates to distract the children so that you can engage in an adult conversation
- Exercise. This is not necessarily to enable you to stay skinny or in shape; it is to give you time to think It will be worth it to pay a babysitter to get time to exercise. If you do not you will have no time to think which leads to having trouble sleeping, being stressed and making your children unhappy.
- Get time to do what you want at least once a week. There are no off days for SAHMs, no sick days or lunch breaks. It is a full time job. Leave the children with a babysitter and go for coffee or a drive. Get a manicure and do not fret about it. Your children need a break as much as you do.
- Don’t be a stickler to rules. You can break any rules you wish as you are the boss. Allow the kids to stay in pajamas all day if they wish. You can give school a miss and go to a kid museum. Children are wise, listen to them and live in the moment.
- Make the most of the time you spend with your kids. The children will grow up or you will return to work. Be a child again. Play and try not to fret about cleaning or cooking. You will never regret it
A 2007 survey by Pew Research Center showed that more mothers, (48 percent) preferred being home full time than 10 years earlier (39 percent). The study showed that 21 percent of working mothers preferred working full time compared to 32 in 1997. Learn more when you read http://www.parenting.com/article/the-new-stay-at-home-mom.